Background: CWops sponsors CWT -- fun, weekly competitions at times thought to be optimum for amateurs in ITU Regions 1, 2, and 3 (http://www.cwops.org/cwt.html).
The CW OPEN (CWO), which is held on the first Saturday in September, is guided by the same principles along with enhancements to make it a serious, annual competitive event.
Object: Work as many CW stations worldwide as possible within each session. There are three separate competitions at three separate times -- each is called a "session." Each station may be worked once per band in each session. Entry can be made to any or all of the sessions. Each session is scored separately. Entry into multiple sessions will be added together for a combined score in a separate, additional aspect to this event.
Date: September 5, 2015
|Sessions and Times
September 5, 2015
0000 - 0359z
September 5, 2015
1200 - 1559z
September 5, 2015
2000 - 2359z
Eligibility: All amateurs are encouraged to participate.
Exchange: Sequential Serial Number and Name. Serial numbers start at 001 for each session.
QSO Points: One point for every valid two way QSO with correct exchange of information. May contact for points only once per band, per session. Note: do not remove dupes from your log.
Multipliers: For each session, each different call sign is a multiplier the first time it is worked on any band. Note that a busted call sign is not a multiplier.
Score: For each session, total QSO points times the total number of multipliers. If more than one session is entered, a combined score equal to the sum of all session scores will be reported separately in the results.
Mode: CW only
Bands: 160, 80, 40, 20, 15, 10 meters
Class Entry: Single Operator only. Indicate power level of QRP, Low, or High; QRP is 5W or less; Low is 100W or less; High is any legal power above 100W. Packet, Skimmer, and Reverse Beacon systems are allowed.
Team Competition: Please register your team HERE.
1. A Team consists of TWO or more single operators.
2. Teams, with up to ten operators each, can be organized and compete against each other. Team registration is at the bottom of this page.
3. There is no geographical restriction for a team; this offers a strategic component.
4. Team score is the sum of all team players' scores in all sessions that they choose to enter.
Example 1: Team A enters Session 1 + 2 + 3. Total team score is the sum of all 3 sessions.
Example 2: Team B enters Sessions 1 and 3 only. Total team score is the sum of just those two sessions.
Note: Since there is only ONE overall Team Competition winner for the entire contest, those who enter ALL 3 sessions obviously have a much better chance of winning.
1. All logs must be in Cabrillo format. See FAQ below for details. Paper logs will not be accepted.
2. All logs for CWO 2015 must be submitted by the log deadline: September 19, 2015.
3. Submit a separate CWO Cabrillo log for each session. Serial numbers begin at 1 for each session.
4. Name your logs for each session by using 1, 2, or 3 after your call sign.
Sample Log Names for K3XYZ:
Session 1. K3XYZ1.log
Session 2. K3XYZ2.log
Session 3. K3XYZ3.log
Logs must be submitted in electronic format. A customized log submission form for CWO is available here:
Click on "Log Submission" and you will be taken to a Log Submission page, which you can use in either of two ways.
Click "Browse": Let's you find and upload your Cabrillo file directly.
Method B. Paste Area: You can copy the information from your CWO Cabrillo file, and paste it directly into the text area shown.
After using either Method A or Method B mentioned above, simply click "Submit Log".
Please Note: All logs submitted to the CW Open will be made open and available to the public. By submitting a log for the log checking process, the entrant has agreed unconditionally to the open publication of that log.
6. Please submit separate logs for each Session -- do not try to combine them into one for submitting purposes.
7. After the contest period ends, you can verify that your log has been received by returning to this page and clicking here: "Logs Received"
8. If you have any problems or questions, please contact us at: email@example.com
Logging Software: Several common contest loggers have been tested and approved for The CW Open.
Refer to the Software Page for more information.
Trophy, high score, each session, each ITU Region (9 trophies)
Trophy, high combined score (all sessions), each ITU region (3 trophies)
Plaque, high score, each of HP, LP and QRP, each session, each ITU region (27 plaques)
* If the same entrant wins multiple awards, the awards may be combined.
* Minimum of 100 QSOs (after log checking) is required to win an award.